Dear Kim,


Here is the recipe for Laundry Soap!

Laundry Soap

1 bar FelsNaptha
1 bar Ivory Soap (or whatever smell you like, or whatever is on sale)

grate both of these.

put in pot with about 8 cups of water, simmer and stir (do not boil) until soap is melted. Note: if some of the FelsNaptha isn't melting, just add some more water, that should do the trick)

Add:
1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda

Stir until thickened and remove from heat. I usually stir occ. for about an hour. I have found that the longer I let is stay on the heat...the nicer the soap (at least nicer looking...I'm sure it all works the same!)

Add 2 1/2 to 3 gallons of water to soap in a five gallon bucket (what you really want is to have about 4.5 gallons or so total, so add enough water to get to this amount!)....mix REALLY well.
I mix with my hands because I like how it feels....kinda slimy, and so smooth...and it's fun!

that's it!
pretty easy just takes a little time!

Let me know how it turns out, and how you like using it!

you'll use a 1/4 cup or so per load. maybe a half cup....but it doesn't take much.
you won't have suds....kinda disappointing, but it still works really well without suds!

make sure you put the soap in the washer and let the water break it up a little before adding your laundry,....
the soap will be kinda like a jell-o consistancy....(kinda-not really...hard to describe...) :)

Some people make it without the water. You would just need a heavy duty food processor. Make sure the soap and Flesnaptha are grated very very fine, and mix with the borax and washing soda....you would only use about 1 TBS (or even less) of this per load.
I just don't have a food processor that will chop up my ingredients fine enough, so i make the liquid kind! Both work equally as well!


anyway, have fun with it!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hannah
    Thank you very much for the recipe, I am gong to try it and Kadee is also, I just love coming to your blog, no matter what kind of day I am having, your blog just brings a smile to my face, thanks for all of your great recipes and your words, I love you Hannah Mae, Kim

    ReplyDelete