even better granola

a few weeks ago i posted a recipe for granola...since that post, i've tried a few other recipes, and i've finally found my favorite (so far), but this is the one i will continue making until i think i need to try another!

I made a few changes to the original recipe, and those are noted after the original ingredient. This isn't quite as healthy as the first one I posted, but it is a little sweeter, and crunchier...which both D & I like!

enjoy!

GRANOLA

•6 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (I used: five cups rolled oats, one cup wheat germ, ¼ cup flax seed)
•1 cup sliced almonds
•1 cup unsweetened desiccated coconut (I thought it need more: 2 cups)
•2/3 cup hulled green pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds (I used sunflower seeds)
•1 teaspoon salt
•1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter (I used salted)
•12 tablespoons honey (3/4 cup honey, ¼ cup molasses, ¼ cup brown sugar, 2 tsp almond extract))
•2 cup mixed dried fruits such as raisins, cherries, and apricots (Dustin doesn’t care for dried fruit in his granola (crazy, I know) so, I didn’t add any, I’ll just add it to my bowl when I eat it! Traverse City cherries, here I come…!)

Preparation

Preheat oven to 325°F.
In a large bowl stir together oats, almonds, coconut, pumpkin or sunflower seeds, and salt (and wheat germ and flax seed). In a small saucepan melt butter with honey over low heat, stirring. (take off heat and add almond extract to melted mixture) Pour butter mixture over oat mixture and stir until combined well.
In 2 large jelly-roll pans spread granola evenly and bake in middle of oven, stirring halfway through baking, until golden brown, about 15 minutes (maybe I layered mine to thick in the pan, but I ended up baking it for closer to 25 minutes). Cool granola in pan on a rack and stir in dried fruits. Granola may be kept in an airtight container at cool room temperature 2 weeks.

3 comments:

  1. YUMM-O ~ This sounds wonderful. I'm gonna have to try it... someday. :o) Have a wonderful day. I love you, MOM
    I just checked out the "Bird on a Whim" site. Wow! I love the earrings! And thanks again for the pair you left with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally made the laundry soap, your right I love it. Charlie wasn't sure about the lavendar scent, but I told him next time I would use something even prettier :)lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hannah!

    Yeah! Granola. I love it. Perfect vegetarian me....
    as always thank-you for your kind contributions at The Katillac Shack. Love having you in the neighborhood!

    love, kelee

    ReplyDelete