I've been doing a lot of research lately about living more simply.
I'm very interested in growing my own garden, not only for the "fun" of it, but to actually use the bounty to provide food for us throughout the year. I know it will be a lot of work, but I'm very interested in giving it a try.
In my search for resources I've found many blogs and websites that I continue to go to and read. They are great for inspiration and a wonderful resource as well.
I was reading Kendra's blog today (which is one of my very favorites right now!) and she had a wonderful post that I would like to share with you.
Are you guys familiar with the Food Safety Enhancement Act of 2009? It’s also known as HR 2749. Honestly, I hadn’t heard anything about it until just recently. This is some scary stuff. If this bill passes through Congress, it will dramatically affect not only family farms, but the small scale homesteaders who sell ANY food products as well. And it has the potential to allow lawmakers to get their “foot in the door” to further control homesteaders who are just trying to grow food for their own families. (When I say “homesteaders” I’m including anybody who grows a garden or owns even a single chicken, goat, or other livestock.)
Under this bill, we would essentially lose the freedom to grow and consume our own food. Complying with every mandate and paying all of the required fees would make it impossible for the average homesteader or small scale farmer to be able to afford to keep legally producing their own foods.
They say this bill is to protect us from contaminated foods. In reality, it will do no more to protect us than the agencies we already have in place, but will cause so much damage to small farms that only the big food corporations will survive, and ultimately dominate the food industry. (No wonder the big food industries are backing this bill financially!)
Here is an idea of what we would be dealing with:
* A yearly registration fee of $500.
* Every single livestock animal will be required to be registered, and possibly tagged with a micro chip. Talk about expensive!
* For each animal you would be required to keep all health documents and documentation as to their origins. So, if you buy a chicken off of Craigslist, you’ll have to keep a record of who you purchased that chicken from, etc., just in case the feds raid your home and want to see your paperwork. Failing to do so would cost you a hefty fine!
* You’d have to keep a record of all persons entering the farm (or your backyard). People, we shouldn’t have to do this! The government has no business knowing who comes and goes on our own private property!
* You’d be required to keep medical certificates of every person dealing with the animals. Again, none of the governments business.
* Keep documents proving the water you give your animals meets specific criteria. We would have to constantly be sampling our well water, possibly amending it, and keeping a record of it.
* Keep samples of the feed that we give to our animals. How do they think we can possibly store samples of every batch of the feed that we give our animals??
* Keep all documents of official inspections.
* Keep records of treatment and procedures on all animals. That means every little thing that you do to your own animals would have to be documented.
* You’d be required to prevent domestic animals from roaming in and around livestock. So, if you have a pet cat or dog, or use a dog to guard your livestock, you’d be forced to separate them from the other animals, or get rid of them. Of course this would allow predators to freely attack our livestock… perhaps that is the governments plan.
* We’d have to place all of these documents at the disposal of the competent authority. Which means they would allow warrant-less searches of our property and business records.
* The FDA would regulate how crops are raised and harvested. Organic growers would be no more. The would be allowed to outlaw the use of manure, require Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) animal feed, mandating animal drugs and antibiotics, and forcing use of petrochemical fertilizers and pesticides. We would not be allowed the money saving option of growing our own natural feed for our animals.
* We would have to register our property, which means constant government surveillance via satellite.
* We would be required to document every time we take an animal off of the “farm”.
* It would give the FDA the power to order a quarantine of a geographic area, including “prohibiting or restricting the movement of food or of any vehicle being used or that has been used to transport or hold such food within a geographic area.” This means that they would have the power to shut down farmers markets (among other things), and even seize the vehicles of those selling goods within a certain area, even if their is no evidence of them being a source of contamination.
* Would establish a tracing system for our food. Each “person who produces, manufactures, processes, packs, transports, or holds such food” would have to “maintain the full pedigree of the origin and previous distribution history of the food,” and “establish and maintain a system for tracing the food that is interoperable with the systems established and maintained by other such persons.” How are we to possibly track every single thing that we use in processing our food? How burdensome and time consuming! Just another way to make it impossible for us to keep producing.
* We would be facing severe fines and penalties if we do not comply with all of these mandates. Fines of up to $100,000 for each violation, and even up to 10 years prison time!
If this bill passes, you can say goodbye to farmers markets, roadside produce stands, U-pick farms, buying from local farmers, and any other kind of food purchases from local producers. And if you are the one selling any kind of produce, meat, or even homemade jelly, you’re really in for it!
And after this they’ll attack your personal backyard garden. After all, it could be a potential health hazard for your entire community!
What scares me the most is that this reminds me so much of the book of Revelation where it talks about having to have the “mark” to be able to buy or sell. If the government takes away our freedom to grow our own food and raise our own livestock, how easy would it be for them to require a microchip or something for us to be able to purchase their food?
This bill has passed in the House, now it goes to the Senate. We need to contact our representatives and voice our concerns over this bill NOW!
Check out this site: http://www.healthfreedomusa.org/?p=3262 for more information.
and here: http://www.ftcldf.org/petitions/pnum993.php to take action!
Thanks again Kendra, for your inspiration, and for sharing your journey!
(visit Kendra HERE)